Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Realtor’s Role—A Glimpse and Opportunity to Become a Friend

This holiday season I was blessed with a ringing cell phone. Not just one client or contact but several. New prospects. Current buyers and sellers. Past clients and friends. And of course other agents.

Each situation and reason for calling was unique. As I consider each of these contacts I realize once again how my position as a Realtor provides a glimpse like a look through the keyhole into lives. Each phone call is the beginning to a story and often the caller is asking me to play a role. When I answer a call, it could be a romantic love story and exciting adventure or sad tragic tale. As a professional real estate agent, I play this role throughout the year but during the past few weeks many stories tugged at my heart.

Just before Thanksgiving, I received a call from a young man asking to see a listing of mine in Forest Lake. He and his fiancé just drove by the home and wanted to see it the next day as they were excited by the idea of purchasing their first home. Over these past few weeks, I shared many evenings of showing homes and meeting with their families. This excited young couple decided on property and if all goes according to plan they will start the New Year in their new home.


A week before Christmas I received a response to a newspaper advertisement for a Ham Lake lakeshore home. The gentleman caller is looking for something private on a full recreational lake. During the conversation he shared that he had just finished building a beautiful lake home in Alexandria two years ago. He had lost his lovely bride of 61 years a short time ago and he didn’t want to go there anymore. He was contemplating a new lakehome nearer the cities.

Last week I showed a home a few days before Christmas. It was perfect for my clients! I called the listing agent and left a voicemail. A day later I receive a call. The agent had a family medical emergency. He had another agent to handle his files but that agent decided to go on a holiday leave. Patiently and professionally, I dealt with the original agent. Unfortunately, the medical situation was serious and the family member died. Negotiations though delayed at times have been successful for both parties.


The calls don't always go as expected and the topics do not always stay exactly on real estate. A Realtor works with people and families all in different stages of life. This is important to me and the part of real estate that I truly enjoy.

As I review the holiday cards I receive from past clients sharing photos of growing grandchildren or news of adoptions and births, I realize that the role of Realtor is more than being a sales person or processor of paperwork. As I step into my clients’ lives to assist them with the sale of their property or purchase of their first home, I get a glimpse of their world and the opportunity to become their friend.


If you are buying, selling or relocating to Minnesota and need help from a professional Realtor, give me a call or visit my website for a FREE Relocation Packet. I specialize in acreage and lakeshore properties in the north and east Twin Cities metro area including Ham Lake, Lino Lakes and all communities in the Forest Lake School District! Serving Anoka, Chisago, Ramsey and Washington Counties in Minnesota.

Copyright 2007 Teri Eckholm http://www.terieckholm.com/

Rent Continues to Rise in Minneapolis & St Paul MN

The September Rent report just released by ABODO shows te average rate to lease a one bedroom apartment in St Paul to be increasing ...