Monday, October 22, 2007

Uniquely Minnesota Artful Distractions--Homeowner Version: Ham Lake Bald Eagle in Nest

As I headed to a listing appointment in Anoka County this summer, I rounded a corner and noticed a beautifully carved oak tree at a Ham Lake residence. The carving was not unusual as I have seen carved and painted bald eagles at craft fairs but this one was carved out of the tree about 15 feet in the air.

Bald eagles were
removed from the endangered species list earlier this year. Due to their protected status for the past several years and efforts to bring back this beautiful bird, the amount of breeding pairs has grown from a low of 417 in 1963 to nearly 10,000 today. According to the Minnesota’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) 2005 Bald Eagle survey, Over 1,000, roughly 10% of bald eagles nest in the state of Minnesota. I have seen these huge majestic birds fly over my Ham Lake home, along the roadside in Columbus Township and soar over the 4th of July parade in Forest Lake.

At the Minnesota DNR building at the state fair this year, there was an example of an eagles’ nest on display. Their nests are built of interwoven sticks about ¾ to an inch in diameter. I have seen an actual nest where a pair of eagles built a few years back in Keller Park in Maplewood. My estimation is that it is the size of a child’s swimming pool woven up into the treetops. The DNR display was just about eye level and easy to view.

The week after we were at the fair, I was back to check on my listing. As I rounded that same corner, I noticed that the beautiful carved eagle now had a nest! What a
Uniquely Minnesota Artful Distraction created by an innovative homeowner. This is one landscape decoration that will add to the property value of this lovely Ham Lake home.

Another Artful Distraction Post from Series:
Uniquely Minnesota Artful Distractions—Hometown Version: The North St. Paul Snowman



If you are relocating to Minnesota, are looking for Homes for Sale in the north and east Twin Cities metro area and need help from a professional Realtor, give me a call or visit my website for a FREE Relocation Packet. I specialize in acreage properties! Serving Anoka, Chisago, Ramsey and Washington Counties in Minnesota.



Copyright 2007 www.terieckholm.com

Rent Continues to Rise in Minneapolis & St Paul MN

The September Rent report just released by ABODO shows te average rate to lease a one bedroom apartment in St Paul to be increasing ...