Sunday, April 26, 2009

Photo Tour of Como Park Conservatory—Minnesotan’s Favorite Eye Candy!


A visit to Como Park in St. Paul, Minnesota brings back so many wonderful memories. As a kid it was a place for the annual summer family reunion with all of the cousins, aunts and uncles. I enjoyed skipping along the stone walkways, through the beautiful flowers in the Como Zoo Conservatory and begging for pennies from my grandmother and great aunts, Ida and Ann, so I could make a wish in the rock fountain Koi pond. It was wonderful to dream of my future wedding where I would have photos taken in this lovely building.

As a college student, the first warm spring day would inspire many of my dorm mates to join in a jog to the park and around the lake as it was a short distance from the Hamline University campus. My husband and I spend several of our first dates walking around Como Zoo, feeding the bears apples and marshmallows. They used to be in open enclosures and we were told they were former circus bears. If you held up a treat, they did tricks.

Almost every weekend, as a young starving college grad, I would head over to the zoo or conservatory with my nieces in tow to photograph the bears and throw fish to Sparky. It has always been free to visit Como Park and what a great way to spend an afternoon. When I had children of my own, we headed to the year-round flower festival in the
Como Zoo Conservatory in November for a colorful backdrop where we could snap a Christmas photo of the boys.

It had been years since we visited Como Park. Last Saturday, on a whim or maybe it was a bit of spring fever, we decided to visit the park and take some photos of something other than house interiors and exteriors. Many others must have been bitten by that same bug, as the park was full...there were lots of zoom lens and cell phones out for taking photos rather than talking for a change. It was a challenge but I managed to keep the people out of my pictures.

Here are a few of my favorite shots from the flower and plant side of Como Park:







Copyright 2009 Teri Eckholm http://www.terieckholm.com/

Rent Continues to Rise in Minneapolis & St Paul MN

The September Rent report just released by ABODO shows te average rate to lease a one bedroom apartment in St Paul to be increasing ...