Friday, June 6, 2014

Walking the Summer Fields to Sell Minnesota Acreage

The acreage throughout Anoka, Chisago and Washington Counties in Minnesota is beautiful in the springtime. I especially love the surprising wild flowers that will appear along with the prairie grass in the fields. Walking through the fields reminds me of a situation from a few years ago. A couple contacted me as part of an interviewing  process to find a new real estate agent for their acreage home in Columbus. It had been unsuccessfully under contract for over a year but the listing was expiring and they need fresh eyes. As part of my job as an acreage REALTOR®, I walked with the husband around the house, through the barn and looked out the barn’s backdoor at the 30+ acres of woods and natural wetland. Looking out the backdoor of the barn, I inquired about a possible trail that would allow buyers to view the perimeter of the land. He confirmed that there was a path but seemed surprised I asked about it.

Evidently, the other REALTOR® didn’t consider the land worth viewing. The seller said, “The previous agent never stepped one foot further beyond where you are standing now to see the land. I don’t think he wanted to get his shoes dirty.”


I was taken aback. How do you sell a home on acreage without walking the land to see what you are selling? I am certain most buyers would request to take a walk before purchasing too. It was no surprise to me that the home had not yet sold.


Selling a home on acreage does take a bit of extra effort. There is research and work involved. From ascertaining that the septic system is in compliance to understanding what a Minnesota unique well number is and where to find it, there are quite a few details that need to be reviewed when a home with significant acreage is listed. Preparing the exterior is kind of like staging the inside of the home. Marking a trail for the potential buyer to follow is crucial for the buyer to fall in love with the entire property. A significant portion of an acreage home’s total value is often tied up in the value of the land. Buyers need to be able to safely walk the land, in order for the home to sell.


The sellers and I hit it off and I did list that house. When I came to take photos not only did I take the basic interior and exterior shots, I took additional time and walked the land with the seller. (Yes, my shoes did get a bit dirty but it is all part of the job!) During the tour of the land, I took photographs that showed the appeal of the acreage even though a significant portion was wetland. The owner pointed out landmarks and details that would potential buyers would want to know about the property. I took photos from various points along the path. Interestingly, many of the buyers who called me directly to see the listing also walked the land with me and remarked that they remembered the shots as ones they saw on the internet. These pictures were important as they created excitement about the property and were photos that could never have been seen from the front curb or back door of the barn.


The home was sold, but not to a buyer that I brought through the home and property. I did walk the land with several parties before an offer came in.  Another REALTOR® wrote up an acceptable offer after taking his buyer along the mapped and marked trail through the acreage. Whether selling a couple of acres or several dozen, preparation is the key to a successful sale of Minnesota acreage!
 

Selling Acreage? Let me walk the land with you and get it SOLD!If you are buying, selling or relocating to Minnesota and need help from a professional REALTOR®, give me, Teri Eckholm of Boardman Realty, a call or visit my website for a FREE Home Buyer Success Guide or FREE Home Value Report. I specialize in acreage and lakeshore properties in the north and east Twin Cities metro area including Ham Lake, Lino Lakes and all communities in the Forest Lake School District! Serving Anoka, Chisago, Ramsey and Washington Counties in Minnesota.

Copyright 2014 www.terieckholm.com

Rent Continues to Rise in Minneapolis & St Paul MN

The September Rent report just released by ABODO shows te average rate to lease a one bedroom apartment in St Paul to be increasing ...